Displaying items by tag: post 1950
In a Bank Building & Equipment Corporation advertisement, this bank was shown as an excellent example of a design for suburban banking. It was used as a statement of "clean, modern architecture" for "the mark of a leader in any thriving suburban community."
A.G. Gaston Building
1527 Fifth Ave. North
Date of Construction: 1959
Architect: Perry C. Langston for the Bank Building & Equipment Corp. of America
Designation: National Register of Historic Places, 2000
At a cost of $1.2 million, Birmingham’s premier African-American built and owned commercial building housed prominent businesses in a “lush” environment. Inside and out, the Perry C. Langston’s design provided cutting-edge design in a city built on classical tradition. The gleaming glass and green and beige panel, three-story building displayed many of the common elements of the Bank Building & Equipment Corporation’s style, but in new arrangements.
The first floor appeared largely similar to many banks with floor to ceiling plate glass windows, divided irregularly with stainless steel dividers. On the two main street façades, the second and third stories show a curtain wall of glass, and colored panels divided by stainless steel. The pattern here displays very narrow windows but has divisions similar to those used at the Liberty National Bank in Louisville, Kentucky (1955). In addition, the blue/green color was very popular shade for the Bank Building & Equipment Corp., also being used on Liberty National Bank and Reid and Kernaghan Halls at Maryville University in St. Louis, Missouri (1961). The only change on the driveway and rear facades of the building is that instead of a glass first floor, brick is used.
On the interior, the building featured a building-wide inter-communication hookup, air conditioning, piped-in music, pure silk wallpaper in the top executive offices, and employee lounges. It also boasted beauty with solid oak furnishings, fluorescent lighting, and the most modern office equipment and wall-to-wall carpeting.
Some of the original businesses housed in the building included Citizens Federal Savings and Loan Association, Booker T. Washington Insurance Co., Booker T. Washington Business College, Vulcan Realty and Investment Corp. Inc., and a Walgreens drug store, providing space for 357 employees. Today, the building is used as offices for the Southwest Athletic Conference.
More information: Birmingham’s Million Dollar Building, Ebony June 1960
Photo credit: Robin McDonald
Albuquerque, New Mexico
The Bank Building & Equipment Corporation of America completed a $30,000 remodeling and equipping job on this building for the new branch bank. It is a one-story structure with a storefront that is completely glass and a single, off-center doorway. The storefront of glass is set back from the front of building, creating an overhanging section that also serves as the main sign location.
8251 Maryland Ave.
Date of Construction: 1955
Architect: W.A. Sarmiento for Bank Building & Equipment Corp. of America
At first glance, it may look like the roof of this structure is upside down as the strikingly inverted roof and pyramidal shape of the entire building is turned upside down, ending in points on each side elevation. The inverted concrete truss construction led to an increased interest in the design in advance of its construction. Sarmiento stated that the people in Clayton didn't like the modern design of this building at first because it wasn't conservative enough.
American Investment Co. of Illinois, estimated to cost $1.5 million, covered a full block and followed the geography of the site. Materials for the three-story building were concrete, stainless steel, glass, and stone with 60% of the structure resulting in glass. The inverted trusses are concrete and include windows shaded by concrete louvers. The third floor is setback from the roof's edge similar to a roof monitor, providing extra space in a penthouse style design. The building provides 51,542 square feet and was set to accommodate 170 employees upon opening in 1955. On the interior, a simple mobile provided the inspiration for a complex series of ceiling ridges, which along with the lighting provide texture in the entrance lobby.
Architect W.A. Sarmiento at the Bank Building & Equipment Corporation noted that this feature "opens corners and permits complete freedom of design." This was the first design that Sarmiento used the inverted truss design, but it's likely that's why he came back to the some of the design elements of this building style later. Similarly designed buildings that emerged later included the Crenshaw Savings & Loan in Los Angeles, CA (1958) and The Firestone Bank remodel in Akron, Ohio (1958).
Photo 3: Reprinted from The American Banker with Permission from SourceMedia
Photos #8-22: Fentress Photography
Photos #1-2, 4-7, 23-26: Photo Courtesy W.A. Sarmiento
Williston, North Dakota
This building had a hyperbolic parabolic drive-in design that stood out on the commercial strip that it was built alongside.
The Bank Building and Equipment Corporation designed and built an addition to the original Atlantic National Bank Building. In a decidedly updated architectural style, but not ultra modern, the four-five story adjacent building featured a new, two-story lobby for the bank that still gave customers a sense of history and tradition, but without walls, cages, and glass separation.
West Palm Beach, Florida
A Bank Building & Equipment Corporation advertisement portrayed this structure to have personality in its steel, marble and glass, which made its spaces come alive, resulting in the attraction of more customers. According to S.L. Shepherd, manager of the Bank Building & Equipment Corporation's new Miami office West Palm Beach's Atlantic National Bank was a primary exhibit on display at the Florida Bankers Convention of March 1955. The building was an ultra modern structure that stands as an imposing example of contemporary bank building architecture. The corporation designed, constructed and equipped the new facility. Shepherd was the architect and possessed over 40 years of experience in bank design, working with the company since 1926.
For this structure, the Bank Building & Equipment Corporation designed a long, low-slung building with a pronounced proscenium entrance. A two-story, evenly-spaced grid of glass allowed light to penetrate around the extended proscenium that also served as a large sign and an entrance covering for several glass front doors. On the interior, the building featured a wide sweeping stairway leading from the lobby to safe deposit and small loan departments. Walnut and marble teller booths were accentuated by concrete brick walls with illuminated plant boxes, while luxurious gray carpet and rubber cushion tile blended with terra cotta and soft salmon décor, providing a distinctively modern aesthetic.
All that is known about this structure is that the six-story building was designed by the Bank Building & Equipment Corporation of America while the contractor was Tuscan Builders Corp.
This design was conceived and promoted to bankers in Honduras by W.A. Sarmiento for the Bank Building & Equipment Corporation. Sarmiento believes that this structure was never built.
Plans for this $3 million project were announced in 1955. In addition to general banking, printing money and storing gold were to occur in the Central Bank of Ecuador. In the modern lobby of the building, a huge mural occupied the spacious floor.
See photo by Cepalm on Panoramio.
As conceived, the ten-story building would cost $1.5 million and include a single-story wing that would be supported, or hang, from arches instead of rest on a foundation. Sarmiento stated that this design never made it past the conceptual phase because Honduran's desired thought the building was too different and requested a "building that looked like the Falstaff Building in St. Louis" which was a more typical Sarmiento design.
The Central Bank of Honduras was designed by W.A. Sarmiento of the Bank Building & Equipment Corporation of America to reflect modern standards in banking. The building's location across from the historic Legislative Plaza creates a juxtaposition of architectural styles and city planning in the capitol city. The building evokes several characteristic features of Bank Building & Equipment Corporation design: built up massing with a horizontal base, vertical tower, topped with a cylindrical cap; columns that ring the horizontal base for support; a central utility core that is covered by a decorative screen; and transparency through the length of the building with ribbons of windows, while the width of the building is solid and impermeable. To celebrate the building's 50th anniversary, the country printed an air-mail stamp with a rendering of the structure.
Historical outline provided by the Central Bank of Honduras.
Additional photo provided by billypuddy on Webshots.
Formed in 1942, the Planters Bank of Bank of the Colonies (Banco de los Colonos) had as their primary objective the economic release of the colony, facilitating the credit required for the attention of the cane-growing colonies, as well as its own operation as a credit institution.
The company bought the site/property in Aguiar No. 360 between Obispo (Bishop) and Obrapía, which was demolished to build the new structure called "Edificio Colonos". The Bank was in the basement, the ground floor and the mezzanine, with the corresponding layout according to their functions and the rest of the floors, amounting to ten, and were rented to other companies. Its director was architect Manuel Gamba and the project was completed in 1952.
From the foundation, reinforced concrete was used to cover the building including the mezzanine, columns and walls, which were also bricked. To hide the electrical, health facilities and ducts air conditioning, hanging plaster ceilings were placed acoustically. Floors are cement and terrazzo, and sockets used marble Saint Genevieve, tiles and Walnut wood quality. The fittings were made in bronze and carpentry in metal. A clean design predominates in the interior.
As his own memoirs expressed, the Bank took modern lines for its architectural style. The building was located in a way that make a corridor ring and an Esplanade in front with steps that lead to the ground floor and indicate the entry of the building placed at the centre of the façade, which is coated with plates of red granite from Sweden covering its dimension and reaching the mezzanine.
The remaining façades are completely smooth with bitumen color smooth sand and include more endpoints that give rise to the street since the tenth floor deals only with the front of the building. The terrace parapet marquee is of ready-made forming cement floors, finishing the front facade.
All windows are iron and glass, covering the greater area comprised for the rest of the floors, with a repetitive composition, excessively rational and monotonous simplifying its role and highlighting the wasteful character of its height. Its tendency to verticality, omitting the qualities of the historic environment where ranked, exposes the propensity of these buildings to turn it into a sign at the urban level of its functions and powers. Today it is an office building.
Translated from Spanish.
This design was conceived and promoted to bankers in Mexico by W.A. Sarmiento for the Bank Building & Equipment Corporation. Sarmiento believes that this structure was never built.
Completed by the Bank Building & Equipment Corporation of American in 1955, the design of the Banco Pedroso drawn by W.A. Sarmiento were based on a simple, cube-like, functional massing. Sarmiento himself went to Cuba to promote the design. Reported to be "typically latin-modern in architecture" at its opening with an interior splashed with vivid color, a full wall mural, dramatically suspended mezzanine, and exterior vertical louvers as a tropical sun shield. The building contrasts horizontal curves with vertical lines and steel strips with round columns for balanced, compact dignity.
St. Louis, Missouri
Hear Sarmiento on Gander's challenge of designing an efficient yet distinguished headquarters building.
This was the first complete hotel structure to be designed and built by the Bank Building & Equipment Corporation of America.
Bank Building & Equipment Corp. of America Headquarters Office Building (Salvation Army)(c. 1956)
Ground was broken for a new two-story office building in 1956 to provide 55,000 square feet for over 300 employees and associates of the Bank Building & Equipment Corporation. The modern design by W.A. Sarmiento was open and naturally lit by large expanses of glass on both the ground and second floor. However, owner Joseph B. Gander gave Sarmiento the challenge of designing a modern, aesthetically pleasing, functional building for the company for around $30 per square foot. Sarmiento met the challenge by doing it for $35 per square foot.
A twenty-foot, V-shaped recessed entry led inside to a pergola and small bubbling pond feature in the building's lobby. The exterior was coated in vinyl, concrete, brick and aluminum. The interior layout consisted of having the architectural and engineering departments located on the second floor, while the accounting and financial department, and meetings rooms for clients were on the first floor. The Loughman Cabinet Division's manufacturing shop remained in the former office building on Sidney Street, which had been occupied by the company since 1920.
All of the workrooms have daylight illumination, piped-in music, and air conditioning in the summer on order to provide complete comfort for the working environment. Company president Joseph Gander's own office in the ultramodern, rambling structure is oval shaped. Within the office, there are combed wood walls that open into an entrance foyer highlighted by a marble floor and pilasters. Cabinets and furniture within the office are all custom-made. The St. Louis Globe-Democrat cited that the building was "perhaps the best example of how modern and beautiful a building can be and still be completely efficient. The woodwork and paneling is a cabinet-maker's dream."
The building currently serves as offices for the Salvation Army's Midland Divisional Headquarters.
Photos #2, #3: Ruth Keenoy
Photo #1: Reprinted from The American Banker with Permission from SourceMedia
Photos #4-7: Photo Courtesy W.A. Sarmiento
New York City, New York
The Bank Building & Equipment Corporation's architect for this project was William F. Cann.
This bank branch designed by the Bank Building & Equipment Corporation was completed by 1955. It was noted upon opening that for a suburban branch, the building had particularly large night-lighted signs. The interior features modern furniture and a mural depicting a medieval cavalcade.